S.T.E.W. Crew Cultural Club
S.T.E.W. Crew stands for "Students Touring to Experience the World" and is a travel club that was started in 2012 by Lauren Stone, a 6th grade teacher at Bakken Elementary. The club's goal is to provide an opportunity to travel on an organized, domestic/international, educational tour to increase cultural competency. Anyone age 5th grade and up may travel with us. S.T.E.W. Crew members have previously traveled to:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
During the school year, when students do not have the opportunity to travel, we keep students involved with the S.T.E.W. Crew Cultural Club.The cultural club meets twice a month and features:
- Guest speakers from other cultures
- Unique music appreciation
- Art projects
- And more!
Goals of S.T.E.W. Crew
Our goal is that after some time in S.T.E.W. Crew, students will:
- Value Diversity.
- Have the capacity for cultural self–assessment.
- Be conscious of the "dynamics" inherent when cultures interact.
- Reflect an understanding of diversity between and within cultures.
- Reflect attitudes, structures, policies, and services that are aligned with cultural competency.
S.T.E.W. Crew Cultural Club Membership
Membership is open to sixth grade elementary students. Membership dues are $30 per year, or $15 per semester. All persons considered as active members must meet the requirements for membership including paying dues and attending monthly meetings. A member will be considered inactive if he/she fails to pay dues and/or fails to attend monthly meetings, as well as fails to adhere to the goals of the club (see above).